Sunday, March 13, 2011

To Trial or Not To Trial....

So, now that our son has a spot in a clinical trial for peanut desensitization, I have started to talk to people about it and search out other parents who are participating.  Parents seem to fall into two categories when I see them talk about clinical trials:

Category 1 - Let's Go!
I guess,I fall in this category.  We all seem to be folks who think, hey...my kid can have a reaction at any time, why not get them in this study to see if it will help and if they have a reaction, they are right there in a hospital when it happens.  Let's get them fixed if we can or at least taped up enough to play! 

Category 2 - My child is not a lab rat!
These parents are ones who are not willing to let their child be part of a science experiment.  They might try the treatment when it is approved, but they are not ready now and not ready to take any extra risk.  I have found that most of these folks have seen their child have a very serious reaction and just aren't willing to chance it.  I understand completely and sometimes, I question my decision too! 

However, at night before I go to sleep, I think about how not only will my son have a chance at being able to lead a more normal life without a fear of a reaction, but that his participation will also help all those other kids and adults out there with food allergies.  So, although there is a risk, there is a risk every time my son takes a bit of anything, so I feel as though this is a carefully calculated risk and right now, one I am willing to take to facilitate his long-term health. 

I hope that one day in this blog I will be able to write a post called "Treatment approved and available at local allergists' offices worldwide".

No comments:

Post a Comment