Saturday, March 5, 2011

Our eczema adventure...

My son was born in December 2009.  He had jaundice and his skin looked pretty rough from day one.  I was told it was baby acne and it would clear up.  He also had a severe case of cradle cap (or as I call it, cradle crap).  It was rough.  His face was rough and bumpy and it continued to spread until his chest, stomach, back and legs were bumpy, rough sandpaper.  My poor little guy! 
By the time he hit four months, it was itchy and causing him issues.  So, our pediatrician sent us to an allergist to see if milk was causing the problem.  No milk allergy, but he did skin test positive to peanut and soy.  The allergist said it wouldn't hurt to put him on a probiotic along with the other things we were doing (moisturizing and hydro-cortisone).  So, I started adding a probiotic to his formula.  Within 2 weeks, it was a 95% improvement in his eczema and cradle cap.  It was amazing and I almost cried the day someone was holding him and said something to me about how baby's have such soft, beautiful skin...no one had ever said that about him before!
I continued him on the probiotics for the rest of the time he was on formula and it seemed to really help his eczema and the itching.  He still had flare ups on occasion, but the eczema on his face and scalp has never returned. 
At 15 months now, I am considering putting him back on the probiotics for several reasons, the main one is to help try to kick the eczema completely, but the other is to just improve his health and immune system overall. 

Anyone else have any luck with probiotics in treating eczema? 

No comments:

Post a Comment