Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Letting go of plans....

First of all, I am a planner.  I like to plan things in advance and have my ducks in a row.  A nice, neat row...and well, well in advance.  Not that I don't like a little surprise, but I do like a good plan even better! 

So, before my son had his reaction to peanut and was diagnosed, we had made plans to move our kids to a new daycare this summer.  We like to have them in an in-home daycare rather than a big facility.  Our current provider typically keeps kids until they turn 2, but she had made an exception to keep our oldest this year too because our little one would be with her.  Well, our plan was to move them both to the new spot this summer and everyone was on board with that.  Then the reaction happened and the rug got pulled out from under us! 

Our current provider has been wonderful in regards to the allergy (and everything, really!).  She has dealt with allergies before and her philosophy is that if she doesn't put the allergen in them to start with, they will never need the EpiPen!  So, even though she knows how to use it, she would prefer to just keep them safe to begin with!  So, I feel comfortable with having my son be with her.  I got in contact with our planned  new provider and emailed her to let her know about his diagnosis and to see if she felt like she would be able to deal with it.  My philosophy was that I wanted her to know upfront that it wasn't just a matter of not serving PB&J and that if she didn't feel comfortable, no big deal, we would find another option!  Well, she wasn't comfortable and was honest with us about it. So, the next thought was to just keep him with our current provider and then move our daughter to the new spot.  Well, at the same time all of this is going on in my brain, our current provider has been really dreading us leaving, so she was planning to ask me to keep the kids with her longer! 
So, when I asked her if our son could stay longer, she said she would love to keep them both.  SO, after all of this planning and scheming, we are staying put!  Whew!  I feel tired just thinking about it!

Anyway, I am glad that the other provider was honest and told me up front that she didn't think she could make all the changes that would need to be made easily and that it would be very hard for her.  I know exactly how she feels!  It is hard.  Our current provider has done a great job and she loves our kids, so I am just feeling fine that we are staying with her.  She is truly a blessing in our lives and I feel such relief that I don't have to worry about my son going to another place right now.  So, God has once again taken my plans and changed them for me!  However, I have learned that whatever the new plan is like, it is always better in the long run than what I had planned!  I feel so blessed that He is watching out for us and helping to guide me to the right path (even if there are some bumps on the path). 

So, I have let go of the other plans and embraced the path that we have been on with our current provider!  She truly is wonderful and my heart knows that this is what is right for us now!

No comments:

Post a Comment