Saturday, April 2, 2011

Focusing on what we CAN do.....

When my son had his reaction to peanut and we started down our peanut-free path, all we could think about was what he would be missing out on and what we had to give up and change.  I guess that is what most people deal with when they are faced with an allergy or any kind of medical or life condition that causes you to not be "normal" any more.  So, my husband and I have talked a lot about what we can't have in the house and where we can't go because of the allergy.  That is survival...a mistake on our part will cause harm to our son, so we have to be cautious. 
However, we have now been in the game for over a month and things are starting to look up in a way.  I mean, we are still diligent and we are still not out and about like we used to, but now we focus more on things he can have and can do.  Another parent told me to focus on living and raising our son to live life to the fullest, even with an allergy! 
So, that change of attitude along with the first signs of spring have made me feel a lot better and a whole lot less stressed!  I am also feeling really good about getting started with the clinical trial in May and I am hoping that the treatment in the trial will be successful so that our son is able to do all the little things that we were so upset about him losing out on....like his Nan-Nan's famous peanut butter balls at Christmas!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment